Monday, September 2, 2013

Diana Nyad arrival in Florida speech: 'I have three messages'



Barely able to stand and with a slurred speech, 64-year-old Diana Nyad says about her 53-hour successful swim from Cuba to Florida,
"I have three messages. One is we should never ever give up. Two is you are never too old to chase your dreams. And three is it looks like a solitary sport but it takes a team."


Two miles before she reached shore in Key West, Diana Nyad told her supporters,
"I am about to swim my last two miles in the ocean. This is a lifelong dream of mine and I'm very very glad to be with you. Some on the team are the most intimate friends of my life and some of you I've just met. But I'll tell you something, you're a special group. You pulled through; you are pros and have a great heart. So let's get going so we can have a whopping party."
On her Nyad XTreme Dream blog, one of Diana Nyad's support team members wrote,
“Hey all, Chris on the web team again - the group out in Florida is probably going to be busy cheering, hugging and celebrating for a while. Unfortunately that means there won't be a ton of updates here until they've had time to party down. The GPS tracker is going to follow whoever carries it - I think it's actually on a ship anchored just off the beach right now. Hard to tell while everyone celebrates, so apologies for the lack of updates, but I hope everyone's enjoyed the journey. I'm sure Diana will speak to the press as soon as she's able - maybe today, maybe after a good long sleep. Go party!”
Diana Nyad's blog documented her 53-hour swim from Havana to Key West. She is the first person to ever make the swim without a shark cage.