Friday, July 26, 2013

Bob Filner: What exactly did San Diego's Mayor Bob Filner do that is called sexual harassment by 7 women?



Even though San Diego’s Mayor Bob Filner initially apologized for his inappropriate behavior towards women, he does not appear to really understand the sexual harassment allegations against him. Born on Sept. 4, 1942, the now 70-year-old mayor might have trouble understanding why his (from his point of view) “manly” behavior is causing uproar.

The first woman who came publicly forward with sexual harassment allegations against Mayor Bob Filner is 57-year-old Irene McCormack Jackson who is a longtime San Diego Union-Tribune reporter and who left to work for the Port of San Diego before accepting a job with Filner's office in January of 2013. She filed a lawsuit in San Diego Superior Court against San Diego’s Mayor Bob Filner and the city and is being represented by no other than Jackson's high-profile Los Angeles-based attorney, Gloria Allred.

During her press conference on July 22, 2013, Gloria Allred gave the following description of Mayor Bob Filner’s behavior – she should work without her panties on, that he wanted to see her naked, that he could not wait to consummate their relationship (which there was none other than professional), and that he couldn’t wait to marry her.  He had the right to demand kisses, to drag her around in a headlock while whispering sexual comments in her ear. “He apparently thought that he had the right to tell her that he wanted to see her naked,” said Gloria Allred.

Irene McCormack Jackson also described Mayor Bob Filner’s behavior during the July 22, 2013 press conference.

“The past six months turned out to be the worst time of my entire working life. I had to work and do my job in an atmosphere where women were viewed by Mayor Filner as sexual objects or stupid idiots. I saw him place his hands where they did not belong on numerous women. I was placed in the Filner headlock and moved around as a rag doll while he whispered sexual comments in my ear. .. He thought it was acceptable behavior.”  

The second woman who came forward with sexual harassment allegation against San Diego’s Mayor Bob Filner is Laura Fink who said that Bob Filner “patted her posterior and made a crude joke at a crowded fundraising event in 2005, when she was his deputy campaign manager.” KPBS also provides a link to the Email that she sent to then Congressman Bob Filner.

(Click on picture to enlarge)




The third woman who came forward on Wednesday, July 24, 2013, with sexual harassment accusations against San Diego Mayor Bob Filner is Morgan Rose, a psychologist in the San Diego Unified School District, who says that in January of 2009, Mayor Bob Filner repeatedly tried to kiss her in a public restaurant.


On Thursday, July 25, 2013, four more women have come forward with sexual harassment allegations against San Diego’s Mayor Bob Filner:




Patti Roscoe, a businesswoman, described Mayor Bob Filner’s behavior: “He's put me in what I guess now is the famous headlock.  I felt fearful. It was an invasion into my space, and he would come in and try to kiss me on the lips and I'd have to squirm to get away, and just as recently as a few months ago this happened. And I turned and he just slobbered down my chin and I was so violated and I was so offended. …  On other occasions, he's gotten close to me and put his hands on inappropriate places on my body ... and it's just such a terrible invasion.”

San Diego State University Dean Joyce Gattas told KPBS she also was sexually harassed by Filner. “Where he's held me and held me too tight, kiss on the cheek which is inappropriate, hand on the knee that lasted too long. Moreover, I've been in the environment where he has made those sexual comments to others. …  I've seen the interaction from others when they cringe when he's had those interactions. I've experienced his sexual innuendoes with me at various events that, again, have left me in that strange feeling of -- this is inappropriate, this is un-wanted and this shouldn't be happening."

Retired Adm. Veronica "Ronne" Froman, the former San Diego Navy Mayor, described an incident with Mayor Bob Filner that occurred two years ago at Filner's congressional office. “As we were leaving the office, all the guys left and I was the last one in the room.  Bob stepped between me and the doorway and he stopped me … and he got very close to me, and he ran his finger up my cheek like this and he whispered to me, 'Do you have a man in your life?' I jumped back. I was very, very startled, and I said, 'Yes, I have a man in my life.' And he said 'Who?' And I said, 'Lyndon Blue.'  And he said, 'Oh, of the Blues Brothers? Maybe we can all get together sometime for lunch and he can support me for mayor. I was really rattled. I went out in the car, got in with the two guys I was working with and I told them to never leave me in a room alone with Bob Filner again.”

San Diego Port Tenants Association President Sharon Cloward described an incident with Mayor Bob Filner in 2010. “He said I was beautiful and that he wanted to date me. And this time Bob Filner was going through his re-election process, so he made it clear that he would like to date me as soon as the re-election process was over."

All four women said they hoped other women would also come forward, and they called on San Diego's Mayor Bob Filner to resign.