Sunday, August 4, 2013

Elton John recovers after appendicitis and having his appendix removed: ‘I was a ticking time bomb. I guess I could have died at any time’


Elton John is recovering at his home in Nice, France, after he had his appendix removed at Monaco's Princess Grace Hospital on Thursday.

Elton John says that he waited too long before calling the doctors. "I was a ticking time bomb. I guess I could have died at any time. I feel so lucky and grateful to be alive.”

Despite his age of 66, Elton John ignored the typical signs of appendicitis and performed 10 shows “in agony,” as he says.

Appendicitis is an inflammation of the appendix which is a 3 1/2-inch-long tube of tissue that extends from the large intestine. Early signs of appendicitis can include a tenderness around the navel which eventually turns into acute pain which shifts to the lower right abdomen.

Besides tenderness and pain, appendicitis can be accompanied by symptoms like loss of appetite, nausea and/or vomiting, abdominal swelling, a fever of 99-102 degrees Fahrenheit, painful urination, and severe cramps.

As in Elton John’s case, however, some of those appendicitis symptoms might not be present or persistent enough to notify the doctor until it is almost too late.

Elton John is expressing his gratitude to his friends and fans on his news website.

"I would like to thank the literally thousands of people who have sent me get well cards and messages over the past two weeks. Your well wishes have touched me deeply and will play a big part in my recovery.

I cannot wait to see you all and thank you in person when I resume my concert schedule later this year. In the meantime, please know that I consider myself a very blessed man to have such caring and considerate fans.

With all my love,

Elton"

Because of his appendicitis, Elton John had to cancel a series of summer shows last month but he is scheduled to be performing again on stage in September.